- What is IKKiCON?
IKKiCON is a Japanese Animation and Pop-Culture Convention held annually in Austin, Texas. IKKiCON traditionally runs for three days near the beginning and/or end of the calendar year.
- What do you do at IKKiCON?
IKKiCON will have a number of events to enjoy, including but not limited to, karaoke, gaming, anime music videos, dances, live music, cosplay contests, a dealers’ room, an artists’ alley and art show.
- What time does IKKiCON start and end?
IKKiCON registration begins at 9am in the morning with content starting around 10am and runs late into the night. Our dances typically go untill at least 2am and our gaming and video rooms run 24 hours.
- Will IKKiCON always be on New Year’s Eve Weekend?
IKKiCON was originally in February and we intend to host IKKiCON around the same time frame in the future.
- Do I have to bring an ID with me when I register or pick up my pre-registration?
There are a few places you’ll need your photo ID while at IKKiCON. If you do not have a photo ID we suggest you get one as it will make attending this convention a much smoother process for you.
- If you’ve pre-registered you’ll need to bring either your Eventbrite e-mail confirmation, your photo ID, or a school ID with your name that matches the Eventbrite membership on it to pick up your badge. If your parent(s) are attending IKKiCON with you they can present their ID in order to claim your membership badge if they purchased the membership(s).
- Checking into the Hotel
- The Hotel requires a government issued photo ID when checking into your room. The name on your ID must match the name on your reservation.
- Attending 18+ Programming
- We will have safety team members at every door for our 18+ programming. They will check to see that you have a valid badge, as well as a photo ID proving you are 18+.
- Is there an age limit?
Our primary demographic is the 15 to 25 age range, but we’ve seen anime fans of all ages attending IKKiCON.
- Can I just drop off my kids for the day, and will they be safe?
Dropping your kids off is your choice as a parent or guardian. We have our own safety staff and hired out security at various times but are not responsible for the well-being of any attendee on-site at IKKiCON. In short, IKKiCON, its staff, volunteers, and affiliates are not babysitters. Children 11 and younger with a children’s membership badge will not be allowed in convention areas that require a membership badge unless they are accompanied by an adult that also has a membership badge.
- Is there an age curfew for attendees under 18 for IKKiCON?
While inside the Hotel, there is no specific curfew, but once outside of the IKKiCON floor plan, you must abide by Austin, TX’s juvenile curfew. For more information, visit: http://www.ci.austin.tx.us.
- Am I allowed to take pictures or video during IKKiCON?
Cameras are typically allowed all throughout IKKiCON with the exception of the video rooms. If this policy is changed, you will be informed in the program guide, as well as at the event.
- Where can I find pictures taken at IKKiCON?
You can check out the IKKiCON group on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.
- I want to get involved. How can I do that?
- Join our staff
- We’re always looking for more folks who want to help us put together this amazing Japanese Culture and Animation Convention. To see if we have any staff openings, check out our staff listings.
- Check out our Volunteer page to see what opportunities we have available for volunteering at IKKiCON.
- Join our staff
- Does IKKiCON host other events that I can get involved with if I can’t make it out to the convention?
We host Anime CTX. We’re also working on hosting monthly events in Austin to celebrate our mutual love of anime. As that project develops more we’ll post more content in the news section as well as forum section of the IKKiCON website.
- Where is IKKiCON located?
IKKiCON will be held at the Renaissance Austin Hotel 9721 Arboretum Boulevard Austin Texas 78759 USA.
- Where do I park my car?
You can park at the Renaissance Austin or nearby parking locations.
- How do I book a hotel room for IKKiCON?
Check out our hotel information page for all hotel room booking information.
- Why should I book a room at the official Hotel?
You are not required to book a hotel room at the Renaissance Austin but it would be extremely beneficial if you did. When hosting a convention at a location with hotel rooms the convention is typically required to reach a certain number of room nights. The bigger the convention the more room nights you’re required to fill. By reserving a hotel room at the Renaissance Austin during the convention dates you’re helping IKKiCON! Plus if you can’t sleep you are a very short elevator ride away from a ton of 24 hour programming, such as our gaming and video rooms!
- I tried to reserve a room at the Renaissance Austin with the IKKiCON room rate, but they tried to charge me more than that! What’s up with that?
There are two primary things that would cause your room rate to be higher than the quoted IKKiCON rate? You do not have the IKKiCON Room Rate information inputted via the website, be sure to use the correct link or call the hotel.
- What do I do if the hotel is fully booked before I get a chance to reserve a room?
We’ll post some overflow hotels on our hotel information page.
- Are there places folks can crash while at IKKiCON, like a gaming room or a broom closet?
Sleeping in inappropriate areas like hotel staff rooms or panel rooms is grounds to be ejected from IKKiCON. Similarly the hotel will not tolerate IKKiCON attendees sleeping in the lobby, stairwells, or floors. If you are attending IKKiCON make sure you have a place to sleep!
- Will the pool be closed for IKKiCON?
The Renaissance Austin will be the best place to keep up-to-date on when the pool will be opened or closed. We’re hoping it will be open but cannot make any guarantees.
- Is there food available at the the Renaissance Austin during IKKiCON?
Yes. The Renaissance Austin has a number options for you to choose from. Please check out their website for more information. Also check out our merchandise booth, the OtakuMart, to fill up on Pocky, Ramune, and other Japanese treats! Want us to sell specific Japanese snacks and drinks? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Is there cheap food available during IKKiCON?
We will have Japanese snacks for sale during most of the Main Programming hours at IKKiCON. Want something else to eat? IKKiCON is located in the arboretum Austin. There are a number of places to eat within walking distance. Need more information? Take a look at our nearby eateries page.
- This is Texas, how do I stay hydrated?
The Renaissance Austin has proved several water stations throughout the convention areas for your convenience and hydration.
- Why don’t you provide Childcare?
While we understand that childcare would be extremely convenient there are two very big reasons why we don’t currently offer this benefit, liability and cost. IKKiCON works primarily on a volunteer basis and cannot afford to assume the liability of caring for your children or the cost of hiring experienced professionals with their own liability.
- How do I sign up to host a room party?
We do not sponsor any IKKiCON room parties.
- Who are your confirmed guests this year?
You can visit our Guests page for a complete list of confirmed guests.
- Which guests are you trying to get?
Unfortunately, we’re unable to announce any potential guests. There are a number of reasons we feel this would be inappropriate, including potentially starting rumors or leading to confusion among the attendees. We do not want to disappoint anyone, especially our attendees!
- I want to see this guest at IKKiCON! How can I help make sure they attend?
We always want to know who you want at IKKiCON. There are two ways you can let us know:
- Send us an email at email@example.com
- How do you decide which guests to invite to IKKiCON?
It is equal parts magic and mayhem! Seriously though, we have a dedicated Guest Relations team led by Mr. Ken Wallen, the guest guru! There are a number of factors that go into choosing a guest. First IKKiCON decides who would be the best fit for the convention; we look at their body of work, their work at previous conventions, and how much the fans enjoy their interactions with the guest. At times, relevance to our “main” theme may be a factor, as well. Second we look at our available budget; we typically try to have around 12 guests including Industry Guests, Musical Guests, Cosplay Guests, and Artists. Third we look to see if the guest available and if we have a direct way to contact them; availability is typically one of the more complicated factors since these awesome guests stay pretty busy!
- Does IKKiCON pay guests to attend?
We do not feel it is appropriate to discuss matters such as payment via any public forum. Information like this is strictly between IKKiCON and its guests.
- Can I work in your Guest Relations Volunteer Department?
If you’d like to volunteer, you’ll need to fill out our Volunteer Form. That being said, The Guest Relations Team is typically fully manned. There is a chance you will not be able to work Guest Relations the first time you request that volunteer opportunity.
- I have more questions. Who can I talk to?
Feel free to email our Guest Relations department at firstname.lastname@example.org
Exhibitors & Advertising
- Will there be a lot of children at IKKiCON? What is the primary demographic?
Will we tend to have more 15 – 25 year olds at IKKiCON, we truly get a wide variety of attendees.
- I’m an artist. How can I get a table in Artists’ Alley?
Check out our Artists’ Alley page.
- I’m a dealer. How can I get a booth in the Dealers’ Room?
Check out our Dealers’ Room page.
- Are any products off limits in the Dealers’ Room?
Yes. We will be periodically checking the Dealers’ Room for items that are prohibited, which are:
- Bootlegs, bootlegs, bootlegs
- What is the load/unload policy for IKKiCON’s Dealers’ Room?
Please check out the Dealers’ Room page for that info.
- Is there a program guide? Can I advertise in it?
Yes there is! Check out our advertising page for that info!
- I have a few events I’d like to advertise. Can I place flyers around IKKiCON?
We’ll have at least one table near the Information Desk dedicated to flyers.
- Do you have registration bags? If so, can I put flyers in them?
We do offer registration bags! Please check out our advertising page for the cost to place flyers in our bags.
- What kind of programming should I expect during IKKiCON?
IKKiCON will have a number of events to enjoy, including but not limited to, karaoke, gaming, anime music videos, dances, live music, cosplay contests, and more!
- What time does IKKiCON start and end?
IKKiCON registration begins early in the morning with content starting shortly after and runs late into the night. Our dances typically go till at least 2 AM and our gaming and video rooms run 24 hours.
- I really want to see a certain guest, can you invite him/her?
You can always suggest any guests you want to see by emailing guests@IKKiCON.com. Some guests are harder to get or even impossible confirm. In the end may be factors beyond our control.
- How can I run a panel at IKKiCON?
Check out our panel submission form and give us an amazing panel idea! We’ll also post there if we need additional panelists for already listed panels.
- I don’t want to run a panel, but I want to suggest one. Can I?
Check out our panel submission form and give us an amazing panel idea.
- I’m a cosplayer. How do I sign up for the Cosplay Contest?
Check out our Cosplay Contest info page!
- Will you have any other cosplay events?
Of course! Check out our events schedule!
- What kind of gaming can I expect in the gaming rooms?
Check out our gaming page! We have everything from table top to arcade!
- I’m not 18 years old. Can I go to the 18+ panels anyway?
No. 18+ content is for attendees who are 18 year’s old and older.
- I really want to go to two panels that are at the same time. Can you change the schedule?